What is a Medial Epicanthoplasty?
The section of the eyelid that covers the inner corner of the eye, often referred to as the ‘Mongolian Fold’, generally makes the eyes appear distant from one another. Epicanthoplasty modifies this area to make the eyes look wider, clearer, and larger. Previous methods of Epicanthoplasty left visible scars. However, Wonjin’s Epicanthoplasty incisions are made on the inner section of the fold and sutures are not required, leaving no visible scars. Patients often combine epicanthoplasty in conjunction with double eyelid surgery for more satisfactory outcomes.
Medial Epicanthoplasty candidates
- Want bigger and clearer looking eyes
- Have angry appearing eyes due to Mongolian folds
- Have a wide gap between the eyes
- Wish to have revision surgery
1. After the operation one can still wash the face, but should not allow facial cleanser and maintenance products to contact the wound. The wound needs to be cleaned with physiological salt water, coated with a thin layer of ointment, and kept clean and dry. Do not wear makeup before the stitches, which can cause wound infection
2. After operation one can continue life as normal. The operation does not affect the regular life.The pillow can be padded when sleeping to reduce swelling of the eyes
3. Avoid excessive water intake before bedtime, to avoid moisture accumulation in the eyes.
4. Do not smoke, consume alcohol, or take excitant items (such as spicy food), which reduce wound healing.
5. After 3 weeks, meet with a physician to see if you can wear contact lenses, and makeup. They will teach you how to massage the scars of the wound to increase the natural degree of the eye.
Postoperative Care Key
1. 2-3 days after operation, patients may use scar gel.
2. The would is most swollen 1-3 days after the operation. Apply ice every day for a week. Press ice against your face for 15-20 minutes, no more than once every hour.
3. Avoid rubbing your eyes or doing things that will apply intraocular pressure (crying, overuse of your eyes). Avoid bending your neck or strenuous exercise, which can cause swelling of the eyes and prolong the swelling time.
4. Do not take supplements within one week after operation.. Avoid blood circulation medicine and food, such as ginseng, Shiquan soup, and so on.